The Outboard Engine Distributors Association (OEDA) which represents in excess of 70% of all outboards sold in Australia held its Annual General Meeting recently.
The Executive Officer, Lindsay Grenfell announced a change in Chairman from John Temple, Director & General Manager Australia, New Zealand Pacific Brunswick Asia Pacific Group trading as Mercury Marine, to Michael Goddard Managing Director Lakeside Marine Pty Ltd T/as Tohatsu Australia.
Michael took over from John after two years in the Chair. Steven Cotterell, Director & General Manager Yamaha Motors Australia was appointed Deputy Chairman.
Grenfell noted the Association is in a strong position. OEDA activities throughout the year included:
• Supporting a lobbyist in Canberra, particularly with an election during the year,
• Supported BIA WA after a 1000% increase in the second hand dealers license in that State,
• Managed the introduction, coordination and maintenance of data collection of the Australian Outboard Industry including liaising with the Secretary General, ICOMIA,
• Organised joint Industry meetings of all outboard distributors in Australia regarding data collection, boat shows and Industry promotions,
• Provided emission information to the EPA, Queensland for their report to the Commonwealth Governments Consultation Summary Report - Non-Road Spark Ignition Engines and Equipment,
• Held discussions with the BIAA regarding the cost of and economic viability of state boat shows and discussed other forms of promotional and marketing opportunities available to promote recreational boating in Australia.
• Sent a representative to the Marine 13 conference in Sydney, April 2013
• Publicly promoted the dangers of Grey imports particularly relating to the risk of importing potential damaged boats from the US after Hurricane Sandy.
• Continues to work with the Federal Government on the sensible introduction of emission regulations into Australia.
Grenfell stated the Association was currently working with the other Outboard Distributors in Australia to see if some resolution could be reached on a recommendation to the new Minister for Environment, the Hon. Greg Hunt for the timely introduction of emission control into Australia.
More at www.oeda.com.au