by Jeni Bone
The world's largest boat show, Miami International Boat Show, will begin 13 February with industry pundits anticipating record breaking attendance and spend - a great sign for the global boating industry.
Miami Boat Show 2011 Forest Johnson
It's the 73rd edition of this mega-show which has grown to stretch over three massive venues. From the air, it's like an overwhelming panoply of yachts and watercraft, dazzling in the spring sunshine. (Fingers crossed for no hurricane conditions this year!)
The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) states that in its first year, the show attracted a total of 50 exhibitors gathered under a tent at Miami’s Bayside Park. This year, when the 2014 event officially opens Thursday, organisers say they anticipate more than 2,000 exhibitors spread over the Miami Beach Convention Center, Sea Isle Marina and Miamarina at Bayside. More than 100,000 visitors are expected to attend over the show’s five-day run.
After last year's event, the NMMA undertook an economic impact analysis on the event - the first of its kind in a decade. The 2013 Miami International Boat Show, which took place 14 to 18 February 2013, attracted 102,118 visitors from around the world.
Prepared by Thomas J. Murray & Associates, Inc, the study assessed the economic impact of the annual five-day event on Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties, as well as the state of Florida. Total estimated sales by Florida companies during the 2013 Miami International Boat Show reached $312.2 million, and total excise and sales tax generated within Florida as a result of the show was $30.4 million.
'The results of the new study illustrate the show’s significant impact not only on South Florida’s local economy but to the entire state and recreational boating industry,' said Cathy Rick-Joule, show manager and vice president, NMMA.
'The Progressive Insurance Miami International Boat Show continues to be a mainstay for dealers and manufacturers, which enables them to showcase their products before an international audience of serious buyers. It is one of the world’s premier boating events – a barometer for annual boat sales, a gathering of the newest and best products in recreational boating, and boost to our economy.'
So in anticipation of the world's greatest boat show, here are Progressive Insurance Miami International Boat Show Fast Facts:
* Economic impact: The Miami Boat Show generates an economic impact of $597 million.
* The Miami Boat Show supports more than 6,592 full-time jobs in Florida.
* The Miami Boat Show uses 2.5 million sq. ft of exhibition space at the Miami Beach Convention Center and 1 million sq. ft. of carpet – enough to cover 20 football fields!
* There is an average of 45,000 people working the show including exhibitors, contractors, facility staff, show employees, etc.
* More than 3,000 boats and 2,000 companies from across the globe occupy three locations – Miami Beach Convention Center, Sea Isle Marina & Yachting Center and Miamarina at Bayside.
* More than 102,000 attended the annual show in 2013.
* The five-day show is an all-access pass to experience the boating lifestyle, with a chance to shop thousands of the newest in recreational boats and marine accessories while also participating in premier hands-on learning opportunities on-land and in-water.
* National and international make-up: More than 36 percent of visitors that travel to the Miami Boat Show are from outside the state of Florida.
* There’s a boat for every budget and lifestyle. Boats of all shapes and sizes are for sale at some of the best deals of the year – from luxury motor and sailing yachts to sport fishers, family cruisers and performance boats.
* Training program, plus fun from deck to dock with free sailboat rides along the bay and live music to soak up boating lifestyle.
* Celebrity appearances from History/A&E’s Shark Wranglers, men of OCEARCH Chris Fischer and Captains Brett McBride; and the cast of National Geographic’s Wicked Tuna.
* Show sponsors: Progressive®, Miami Beach Visitor & Convention Authority, Florida Lottery®, GMC®, Carolina® Skiff.com, Discover Boating®, Dodge RAM, Fred’s Shed®, Geico, IFBSO, Magic Tilt, Miami Herald, Natalie’s Orchis Island Juice, NMMA®-Certification and The Wall Street Journal.
Check out the show at
Check it all out at www.miamiboatshow.com